Monday, May 7, 2012

Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

I eneterd a Cost Cutter seeking the advertised 11.95 shampoo,cond, blow dry to my Afr-Amer daughter's hair.After already being somewhat ignored. The stylist hesitantly pulled out a notebook to write something down, then inturrepeted me to exlain that due to that "kind of hair" my daughter had she would have to charge the original 11.95 plus 21.00 every hour there after. The stylist explained that she had little experience with "that kind of hair", asked me how long it would take, and that she was very slow. Upset I thanked her, left and immediatly called corporate. My daughter was at this loction just 4 wks earlier and was charged 11.95. Corporate apologized repeatedly,explained there was no such charge, and that retraining, educating, or disiplining the stylist was needed. I was then sent a gift card for the service and told to go to another location. I am hurt, embarressed, and afriad to go to salon again, should I sue! I did file a report w/ human rights for violation of civil rts.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

Hi,



This is not racism merely bad advertising. Consider this example; I put up an advert saying lawns cut for 鎷?0 in a neighborhood where all the lawns are roughly the same size but someone calls me up and takes me out back to their lawn which is twice the size (And will therefore take twice as long) then I am going to charge twice as much. What their and my advert should have contained was a caveat informing customers that if the job took more than a certain amount of time then there would be a surcharge.



Beware of answerers who say it is racism but other no reasoning to support their claim, to unwarrantedly allege racism is also unjust.



Hope that helps PP



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

Damn right that's racism. I think immediate termination is "needed".



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

Yes partially, but I also think it was ignorance.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

So you feel like you need to go on a crusade because your rights were violated once? You got your gift card, and I'm sure that stylist got reprimanded for it. Leave it alone. You don't deserve anything else from a lawsuit. It's that kind of thinking that everyone owes you something because they hurt your feelings that is ripping America apart.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

im not sur if suieng is the correct course of action but, it was raciest. for sure. good luck god bless and forget her, some people are born idieots



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

That sounds like blatant racism to me. Because your daughter is African American you have to pay more.



That is utter nonsense. If I was a lawyer I would represent you and we would kick some hairdresser a$$.



Good luck. . . I hope you have a happy ending



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

Yes that is racism! Screw them! Sue them and take your money elsewhere!



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

Congratulation on reporting this injustice to the proper authorities.Don't sue as it will be time-consuming and just not worth it in the long run.You have indeed done well already.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

I don't know that I would sue...only because suing only makes it look like you want money. If you want real solution then you call your local news station and report it. They usually do stories out of information like that. I understand the embarassment and rightfully so. I am not African American but have been treated just the same in Atlanta for being white when I entered a restraunt. The main thing to remember is that if are made to feel a certain way.... You have to speak to the person that caused it and then work your way up. You have to get resolution from the source. It wasn't the salons fault that this person treated you this way although it is good for them to know that this person did treat you this way so they could handle it properly....



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

Thats insane.



It is hard to find a place that knows how to do my hair. I went to a shop one time that only asian women worked at...and i could tell they were talkn about me. When i finally did get into the chair, the woman who was "working" on me, did this kind of, extended reach while leaning back and "examining" my hair. I assume from body language, that she was asking another lady for ideas about how to work with my hair.



It really was degrading. I am half mexican and half black, and my hair holds both traits. I know it is difficult to manage, but no one deserves to be treated that way. I would sue. Your daughter will remember that for a long time, and I feel sorry for her for what she had to go thru.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

You simply don't have grounds for a lawsuit. The company compensated you for your bad experience and they didn't even have to do that. A lawsuit won't solve anything.



As for whether it was racism or not, it's impossible to know. There is a real difference in the hair between the races. Some stylists specialize in the hair of one race or another. The stylist you dealt with obviously had no experience with African American hair and was hesitant to try. It really does take a different skill set from other types of hair.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

i don't think it was racism, but i do think that they have an employee with a bad work ethic who apparently is trying to make a little extra money. you should not be hurt or embaressed because you did nothing wrong except get a loser to help you. take the corporates money and enjoy it. i deal with customers all the time because of uneducated people who don't know how to take care of the customer. there just needs to be better training and hiring policies for businesses. sorry for your visit to them but don't hold cost cutters responsible just the idiot employee. bless you



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

Yes, it is. I don't think you should sue though. That case wouldn't make it before a judge. You did what you could. You called corporate, filed a report, etc... just leave it at that and choose another salon. That's life, it's horrible that you had to go through something like that, but sh*t DOES happen. You are the better person, not the hair stylist..she tried to make extra money off of you. She should be fired.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

Suing may not be the best idea, try organising a boycott.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

you're over reacting. years back i had long hair and i was charged more than now because long hair since it requires more of their hair products. much like african american hair needs more specialized products to achieve the results



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

I think you should sue them for racism. When you advertise something by law you can not change it later, and is even worse if you do it for out of a race issue. The only thing that I think will be a little complicated is to prove that the employee told you all that. Try to find witnesses and to document as much as you can. Good luck, and don feel embarrassed or hurt, it is not your fault, the stylist is the ignorant and stupid in this case.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

I don't necessarily know that I would say it was racism. I do think, however, you fell victim to some idiot that didn't give you proper credit for having enough common sense to know that you were being over-charged. You did the right thing and showed alot of class by going to corporate with your complaint (instead of raising 50 kinds of hell in the salon... like I did once lol), and you made your point by doing that. If you like the salon, you shouldn't be afraid to go back in. The problem lies with that particular stylist, not you. Good luck :)



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

hmmm . . . there is no question in my mind . . . that is racism plain and simple. If I were you (I cannot give legal advice) I'd sue the individual . . . if corporate doesn't fire her . . . then their position is that the racism was okay, and they should be liable for lawsuit. However, depending upon your daughters hair (I don't know it so I could be wrong) I have heard that some stylist charge extra for certain types (becuase they take longer to treat) but if this was the case here it would have been advertised prior to the incident . . . this sounds like pure racism.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

yes it is racism and you did the right thing. You spoke with the high ups and no doubt the stylist will be reprimanded. I understand how it feels to have your child descriminated against. It's a terrible feeling. Still I think sueing is a bit extreme. I can see why your hurt, but embarassed and afraid to go to a salon again...I don't understand. Show your daughter that there is nothing wrong with her but with the stylist that refused her. Personally I would have a chat with the stylist. I would educate her myself on racism and descrimination.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

First, I would like to say that I'm sorry that you were given such unprofessional and seemingly racist treatment. No one should have to put up with the crap in 2006.



Second, in my novice law student opinion, I don't think that you would have much of a case if you sued. If you did, it would probably settle before ever reaching trial (only 2-3% of cases ever reach the courtroom), and considering the low cost of the treatment involved, you are not likely to see much reward for your time and effort. (That said, there are sometimes very large rewards for sec. 1983 discrimination suits). But given the stylists defense that she would have to charge more simply because she has little experience in working with African-American hair and so it would be more difficult and take longer (i.e., she didn't say, "afr-am hair is gross and I dont' like working with it, etc."), I'm not sure how likely you are to see big rewards in court. If you asked me, it would simply not be worth it.



On the other hand, I could see an argument that a distinction is definitely being made on race, and that you are being unfairly burdened by being charged a higher price. I think more investigation should be done about whether the stylist has done this to other potential clients, whether other stylists have followed this same practice - in other words, is this a one time deal or some sort of unofficial policy?



Please understand what I am saying. I'm not saying that the hairstylist's treatement was not offensive and outrageous. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be angry, and perhaps even try talking with corporate more. I'm not saying that this type of behavior is okay or should be ignored. What I AM saying is, given your fact scenario, trying to sue in court would likely be so time consuming, frustrating, and ultimately unsuccessful that it may not be worth the effort. That said, if you find a plaintiff's lawyer that says, "This is a great case, let's take it, and you won't pay anything unless you win and we won't charge you any more than a portion of what you do win," then perhaps you will decide it is worth the effort.



If you do decide to sue, there are several things you must think about first: (1) who are the defendants? Will you sue the likely poor stylist only? The entire company? (they will argue that they did what they could. It is also worth seeing whether this stylist was an employee or an independent contractor. Is this store a franchise, in which case will you sue the owner of the franchise instead of corporate? (2) what is your legal theory (more of a Q for the atty) (3) what is your remedy? What are you seeking? a free haircut? money for emotional pain and suffering? How much money? These are all considerations that you will need to take seriously, and think about, both with your plaintiff's lawyer and before visiting him.



By the way, you mentioned that you filed a report with "human rights." Who specifically did you file it with? The EEOC? I'm just curious. Good luck with whatever your decision is, and again I apologize for your awful experience.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

I think it is ignorance and lack of training, both of which underpin racism. It did not really sound like Cost Cutter HAS a training program, though. Good for you for filing the report. Maybe they will see the value in starting one.



Most (not all, I know) racism nowadays is not fueled by dislike, but rather careless unexamined assumptions that work their way in to peoples minds when there is not enough elbow rubbing between the races to provide truths.



How the races can un-separate I do not know.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

Hi,



im sorry about what you had to go through with your daughter. well same happened to me Iam African living in Spain and i couldnt get a hair salon to od my hair, every where i went they would say "We\dont do that kind of hair" i think its ignorant, coz there is no big difference in the hair its just about skin colour just because you are balck then thats it, they wont assist you in any way. thats very wrong, but anyway here in spain there is little to do about it, coz there are no so many blacks here,so if you are mistreated you have no where to complain, now i have bought everything to make my hair at home, at least im saving myself from the embarrasment i was caused several times trying to seek hair dressing service.



dont sue them just make it public, so that everybody knows about that salon. good luck



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

I think the stylist was afraid and had no experience with afro-american hair.



I had the same experience when I wanted a certain service at a pedicure - they told me they never did that so they will need to charge me more. It wasn't racism, we had the same color of skin :)



I think the guys at the corporate was right about this and you should not be afraid to go back to the salon - only try to get another stylist who has experience on afro-americans and is nicer.



I think is great that you got a gift certificate.



Do you think this is racisim? Inflated price because your race?

YES MA'AM that is RACISM. I would most definetly sue them. How dare they tell you to go somewhere else. Use that to your advantage and get some bread up out of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment